Print Friendly, PDF & Email


With the cessation of fluoridation with silicofluoride, lead levels should have dropped in water and in blood.

And kidney patients in the dialysis centers should be doing better; kidney function should be improving.

How would you go about getting someone in Calgary to look into these issues? Who might I ask?

If we fail to do this research, we will be missing a golden opportunity. This is a biological experiment made available by a mass change in an environmental condition. It would be much easier to study than looking for a few people who moved into or out of fluoridated and non-fluoridated areas.


We quote[56] from Fluoride and Lead by Frances Frech:

Let us tell you a tale of two cities–Tacoma, Washington, and Thurmont, Maryland. Both of them saw significant decline in [blood] lead levels only six months after fluoridation was stopped. (In Tacoma, that was due to equipment problems, in Thurmont, it was a temporary ban by the city council.) Tacoma registered a drop of nearly 50% …; in Thurmont it was 78%. To the best of our knowledge, no other explanations were offered. In Thurmont the ban is now permanent.”

Unfortunately, Tacoma returned to fluoridating its drinking water and a battle continues over whether to reverse this policy.


From: James Beck, University of Calgary
Sent: Sunday, October 16, 2011 2:50 PM
To: James Robert Deal
Subject: Re: Compare lead levels in water and lead levels in Calgary – before and after cessation of fluoridation

Mr. Deal:

I agree with you that the suggested investigation would be important if competently done. As I said I will see if I can find an appropriate, and approachable, investigator. You ask how you would find such a person and whom you might ask. If you want to try this directly yourself (I see no objection to that, but I have never heard of such a move in the past) then I suggest you focus on a nephrologist. Preferably an active experimental researcher. If there isn’t such a creature in Calgary, then look for a clinical nephrologist. One can ask, say, the head of the Department of Medicine for a name and contact information or ask the Dean of Medicine. Here’s a start: . I’ve just made a futile and time-consuming effort to get the specific possible contacts for you and I have a commitment to meet now.

I suppose you realize that getting such a project going would take considerable time. That’s not a reason not to try of course.


Jim Beck


Dr. Beck,

Many cities have terminated fluoridation. Calgary could be the template for investigating the changes that result in personal health.

If you could find someone there, it would be your good deed for the year