Drinking water is fluoridated in Canada, the United States and Australia, but almost nowhere else in the world. Western Europe and Japan have almost no fluoridated water supplies. About 43 percent of Canadians live in communities with fluoridated tap water.
The Council of Canadians is opposed to the fluoridation of drinking water. We are concerned by the health and environmental impacts associated with it.
We are working with the Quebec-based group Eau Secours which is opposing the Charest government’s plans to increase the fluoridation of water there from about 3 per cent to 50 per cent. We also encourage Council of Canadians chapters across the country to promote local debate and move municipal resolutions in their community on this issue.
- NEWS: Right to water vs fluoridation in British court
- WIN! Calgary city council votes against fluoridation of drinking water
- VIDEO: Calgary chapter video on water fluoridation
- NEWS: Calgary city council to vote on water fluoridation, Feb. 7
- NEWS: Calgary chapter forum on fluoride in drinking water
- NEWS: Calgary to hold public hearing on water-fluoridation, Jan. 26
- UPDATE: Protecting the Independence watershed in Dolores Hidalgo
- NEWS: Waterloo votes to remove fluoride from its drinking water
- Fluoridation in drinking water brings risks, few benefits